View unit group

NOC 2021 Version 1.0


Search by job title
Search by NOC code

41405 – Education policy researchers, consultants and program officers

Education policy researchers, consultants and program officers conduct research, produce reports and administer elementary, secondary and post-secondary education policies and programs. They are employed by government departments, school boards, research institutes, professional associations and educational and other organizations throughout the public and private sectors, or they may be self-employed.


Example titles

  • Aboriginal education consultant
  • Curriculum developer
  • Curriculum planner
  • Education consultant
  • Education outreach program coordinator
  • Education policy officer
  • Education policy supervisor
  • Education program coordinator
  • Education program officer
  • Education researcher
  • Special education coordinator
  • Course coordinator - college
  • Course coordinator - secondary school
  • Course coordinator - university
  • Language assessor
  • School inspector

Main duties

This group performs some or all of the following duties:
  • Conduct research, produce reports and administer education policies and programs
  • Evaluate curriculum programs and recommend improvements
  • Develop the structure, content and objectives of new programs
  • Conduct statistical analyses to determine cost and effectiveness of education policies and programs
  • Provide ongoing professional development, training and consultative services to teachers and other professionals throughout the public and private sector
  • Develop teaching materials and other resources for program delivery
  • Deliver presentations at conferences, workshops and symposia
  • May supervise the work of other education policy researchers, consultants or program officers
  • May administer specialized testing and assessment programs.

Employment requirements

  • A bachelor's degree in education or in a discipline such as social science or business administration is required.
  • A master's degree in education may be required.
  • Specialized training or certification may be required.
  • Several years of experience as a school teacher are usually required.
  • A teacher's certificate for the province of employment is usually required when employed by provincial education ministries.

Additional information

  • Progression to managerial positions is possible with experience.


Date modified: