View unit group

NOC 2021 Version 1.0


Search by job title
Search by NOC code

43202 – By-law enforcement and other regulatory officers

By-law enforcement and other regulatory officers enforce by-laws and regulations of provincial and municipal governments. They are employed by provincial and municipal governments and agencies.


Example titles

  • Animal control officer
  • By-law enforcement officer
  • Commercial transport inspector
  • Garbage collection inspector
  • Liquor licence inspector
  • Parking control officer
  • Property standards inspector
  • Taxi inspector
  • Zoning inspector

Main duties

This group performs some or all of the following duties:
    Animal control officers
    • Respond to citizen complaints concerning stray domestic animals, livestock and wildlife
    • Issue warnings and citations to owners
    • Impound lost, homeless and dangerous animals.
    By-law enforcement officers
    • Enforce municipal and provincial regulations
    • Investigate complaints
    • Issue warnings and citations to commercial and residential property owners and occupants.
    Commercial transport inspectors
    • Inspect commercial vehicles to ensure compliance with regulations governing load restrictions, the transportation of hazardous materials and public safety.
    Garbage collection inspectors
    • Investigate complaints concerning infractions of garbage collection by-laws.
    Liquor licence inspectors
    • Conduct inspections of licensed establishments
    • Advise licensees on laws and regulations
    • Report contravention of laws and regulations to provincial liquor control boards and agencies.
    Parking control officers
    • Enforce parking by-laws on city streets, regional roads and municipal properties.
    Taxi inspectors
    • Inspect taxicabs for mechanical reliability, cleanliness, licensing and meter accuracy
    • Investigate public complaints, issue citations and prepare reports
    • Give evidence to city councils, taxi commissions and in court.
    Zoning inspectors
    • Investigate properties in violation of zoning and related by-laws, after receiving requests for licence clearances pertaining to zoning and related by-laws, and on receipt of building permit applications.

Employment requirements

  • Completion of secondary school is required.
  • Completion of a college program or courses in law and security or other related field or experience in a related administrative or regulatory occupation is usually required.
  • Zoning inspectors or zoning enforcement officers may require a college diploma as a civil engineering or architectural technologist or technician and several years of experience in enforcement and/or building construction or a related field.
  • On-the-job training is provided.

Additional information

  • By-law enforcement officers may specialize in the enforcement of one specific by-law.


  • Employment insurance and revenue officers (12104)
  • Engineering inspectors and regulatory officers (22231)
  • Occupational health and safety specialists (22232)
  • Police officers (except commissioned) (42100)
  • Sheriffs and bailiffs (43200)

Breakdown summary

Broad occupational category
4 – Occupations in education, law and social, community and government services
3 – Occupations usually require a college diploma or apprenticeship training of less than two years; or more than six months of on-the-job training
Major group
43 – Assisting occupations in education and in legal and public protection
Sub-major group
432 – Assisting occupations in legal and public protection
Minor group
4320 – Assisting occupations in legal and public protection
NOC 2021 Version 1.0
Date modified: