View unit group

NOC 2021 Version 1.0


Search by job title
Search by NOC code

41403 – Social policy researchers, consultants and program officers

Social policy researchers, consultants and program officers conduct research, develop policy and implement or administer programs in areas such as consumer affairs, employment, home economics, immigration, law enforcement, corrections, human rights, housing, labour, family services, foreign aid and international development. They are employed by government departments and agencies, hospitals, educational institutions, consulting establishments, professional associations, research institutes, non-government organizations and international organizations or they may be self-employed.


Example titles

  • Aboriginal issues lobbyist
  • Child welfare policy analyst
  • Community policing program consultant
  • Community social development officer
  • Consumer advisor
  • Employment equity policy consultant
  • Home economist
  • Housing policy analyst
  • Human rights officer
  • Immigration and citizenship consultant
  • Immigration policy analyst
  • Indigenous affairs officer
  • International aid and development project officer
  • Labour policy analyst
  • Social policy researcher
  • Social services planner
  • Social survey researcher (except statistician)
  • Aboriginal affairs development officer
  • Aboriginal employment program officer
  • Affirmative action advisor

Main duties

This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Social policy researchers
  • Develop social programs and policies, social legislation, or proposals based on demographic, social and economic research, analysis and the evaluation of pilot projects.
Home economists
  • Advise and assist consumers on the selection and proper use of food products, textiles and other consumer goods and teach household management skills. They may also provide consultative services in the areas of development and promotion of new food products, retail buying, social program administration and small business endeavours.
Housing policy analysts
  • Identify and assess economic, demographic, and social developments and report on their implications for housing policy.
Immigration and citizenship consultants
  • Conduct research, advise clients and prepare immigration, citizenship and visas applications. They may also represent clients at tribunals and before administrative bodies.
International aid and development project officers
  • Plan, organize and administer foreign aid and international development policies and programs.
Social survey researchers
  • Develop questionnaires, coordinate and conduct surveys, analyse data, and compile and interpret statistics on social issues and policy areas.
Social services planners
  • Conduct research, develop social programs, assess, coordinate and develop awareness of existing social services, and ensure that duplication of services is avoided. They may also work with land use planners to determine the impact of major land use plans for transportation, housing and recreational facilities projects.

Employment requirements

  • A bachelor's degree or college diploma in a social science or related discipline, or in business administration is usually required.
  • A master's degree in a social science or related discipline or in business administration may be required.
  • Home economists require a bachelor's degree in home economics, home economics education, human ecology, nutrition and food sciences or family and consumer studies.
  • Registration is available, but voluntary, for home economists but the use of the designation "Professional Home Economist" is regulated in New Brunswick, Ontario, Manitoba and Alberta, and "Registered Professional Home Economist" in British Columbia.
  • Registration with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council is required for regulated Canadian immigration consultants.

Additional information

  • Progression to managerial positions is possible with experience.


Date modified: