Quick Search - Results
End of Quick search
7362 Railway conductors and brakemen/womenRailway conductors co-ordinate and supervise the activities of passenger and freight train crew members. Brakemen check train brakes and other systems and equipment prior to train run, and assist railway conductors in activities en route. They are employed by railway transport companies.
- conductor – switching yard
- freight train conductor
- front-end brakeman/woman
- passenger train conductor
- railway conductor
- road freight brakeman/woman
- tail-end brakeman/woman
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise and co-ordinate the activities of passenger and freight train crew members (except locomotive engineers) to ensure train operations are in accordance with schedule, train orders and code of operating rules
- Receive train orders and explain orders to brakemen/women, locomotive engineer and other crew members
- Communicate with train crew members by radio, signals or by other means to give and receive train operation information
- Collect fares on board passenger trains, announce approaching train stops and answer passenger enquiries
- Prepare train run reports.
- Check train systems and equipment such as air conditioning and heating systems, brakes and brake hoses prior to train run
- Communicate with train crew members by radio, signals or by other means to aid in the movement and operation of train
- Receive orders from traffic controllers, observe signals and track conditions and open and close track switches
- Set and release hand brakes and connect air brake hoses to couple and switch passenger or freight cars, making minor repairs to couplings, air hoses and wheel-bearing boxes as required
- Assist in collecting fares and helping passengers on and off train.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Experience as a brakeman is required for conductors.
- Experience as a railway worker is usually required for brakemen/women.
- Railway conductors require a Canadian Rail Operating Rules certificate.
- Brakemen require a Canadian Rail Operating Rules certificate.
- With experience, brakemen/women may progress to railway conductors.
- With experience, railway conductors may progress to locomotive engineers.