9526 Mechanical assemblers and inspectors
End of Quick search
Lead statementAssemblers in this unit group assemble a wide variety of mechanical products such as trucks, buses, snowmobiles, garden tractors, automotive engines, transmissions, outboard motors, gearboxes, hydraulic pumps and sewing machines. Inspectors in this unit group check and inspect subassemblies and finished products to ensure proper quality and product specifications. They are employed by machinery and transportation equipment manufacturers and by other manufacturing companies.
- automotive engine assembler
- garden machinery assembler
- gearbox assembler
- gearcase assembler
- hydraulic hoist assembler
- mechanical assembler
- sewing machine assembler
- snowmobile assembler
- tractor assembler
- transmission assembler
- truck assembler
- truck assembly inspector
- truck trailer assembler
- vending machine assembler
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Assemble, fit and install prefabricated parts to form subassemblies or finish products using hand and power tools
- Position, align and adjust parts for proper fit and assembly and connect cables, tubes and wires
- Fasten parts together using bolting and riveting equipment or other fastening and joining techniques
- Operate or tend automated assembling equipment, such as robotics and fixed automation equipment
- Operate small cranes to transport or position larger parts as required.
- Check subassemblies and inspect finished products for proper quality
- Check mechanical assemblies and subassemblies for alignment and proper functioning
- Test and check electrical assemblies and wiring for proper connections
- Perform minor adjustments and repairs.
- Some secondary school education is required.
- Up to two years of on-the-job training are provided.
- Experience as a mechanical assembler may be required for inspectors in this unit group.
- There is little or no mobility among the various assemblers and inspectors in this unit group.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.