9465 Testers and graders, food and beverage processing
End of Quick search
Lead statementTesters and graders in this unit group test or grade ingredients and finished food or beverage products to ensure conformance to company standards. They are employed in fruit and vegetable processing plants, dairies, flour mills, bakeries, sugar refineries, fish plants, meat plants, breweries and other food and beverage processing plants.
- beef grader
- beer tester
- cheese grader
- fish grader
- milk grader
- poultry grader
- product tester – food and beverage processing
- tobacco grader
Testers and graders in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Take samples of products at various stages of processing
- Examine ingredients or finished products by sight, touch, taste and smell or weigh materials to ensure conformance to company standards
- Conduct routine tests for product specifications such as colour, alcohol content, carbonation, moisture content, temperature, fat content and packaging
- Grade or sort raw materials or finished products
- Ensure hygiene and sanitation practices conform to policies and regulations
- Advise supervisors of ingredient or product deficiencies.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Experience as a machine operator or labourer in the food or beverage processing industry may be required.
- On-the-job training is usually provided.
- There is little mobility among the various types of testers and graders in this unit group.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.