9461 Process control and machine operators, food and beverage processing
End of Quick search
Lead statementProcess control and machine operators in this unit group operate multi-function process control machinery and single-function machines to process and package food and beverage products. They are employed in fruit and vegetable processing plants, dairies, flour mills, bakeries, sugar refineries, meat plants, breweries, and other food and beverage processing establishments.
- bakery machine operator – food and beverage processing
- brewhouse operator
- canning machine operator
- chocolate refiner
- cigarette machine tender
- citrus juice extractor
- control room operator – food and beverage processing
- corn sugar refinery operator
- dry foods mixer operator
- dryer tender – tobacco processing
- fermenter operator
- fruit preserver – food and beverage processing
- fryer operator – food and beverage processing
- grain-processing machine operator
- meat grinder – food and beverage processing
- pasteurizer operator – food and beverage processing
- tobacco blender
- winery-press operator
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Process control operators
- Operate multi-function process control machinery through control panels, computer terminals or other control systems to grind, extract, mix, blend, cook or otherwise process food products and to bag, box or otherwise package food products
- Operate multi-function process control machinery to grind, extract, mix, blend, distill, ferment or otherwise process alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages and to bottle, can or otherwise package beverages
- Observe gauges, computer printouts and video monitors to verify specified processing conditions and make adjustments to process variables such as cooking times, ingredient inputs, flow rates and temperature settings
- Maintain shift log of production and other data.
- Set up and adjust food or beverage processing and packaging machines
- Operate single-function machines to grind, extract, mix, blend, dry, freeze, cook or otherwise process food or beverage products
- Operate single-function machines to box, can or otherwise package food or beverage products
- Check products to ensure conformance to company standards and clear machine blockages as required
- Record production information such as quantity, weight, size, date and type of products packaged
- Perform corrective machine adjustments, clean machines and immediate work areas.
- Completion of secondary school may be required.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- Experience as a machine operator in food or beverage processing is usually required for industrial process control operators.
- Experience as a labourer in food or beverage processing may be required for machine operators.
- There is little mobility among the various types of process control operators within the food and beverage processing industry.
- Process control operators may progress to supervisory positions in food and beverage processing with experience.
- There is mobility among machine operators within the food and beverage processing industry.
- Machine operators may progress to process control operation or supervisory positions in food and beverage processing with experience.