9414 Concrete, clay and stone forming operators
End of Quick search
Lead statementThis unit group includes workers who cast and finish concrete products, operate machines to extrude, mould, press and bake clay products, and operate machines to form, cut and finish stone products. They are employed by concrete, clay and stone products manufacturing companies.
- asbestos shingle presser
- brick presser operator
- clay press operator
- clay products moulder
- concrete block maker
- finisher – concrete, clay and stone products
- granite cutter
- marble cutter
- precast concrete moulder
- precast concrete slab maker
- stone driller
- stone planer
- stonework moulder
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Concrete products forming and finishing workers
- Construct clay models and moulds by hand and with hand tools for use in casting concrete products
- Build and repair wooden forms used to mould concrete products
- Position reinforcing rods or wire mesh in moulds and fill moulds with concrete from suspended pouring buckets
- Start vibrating tables to settle concrete, or tamp concrete using electric vibrator
- Remove castings from mould with crane or forklift, and finish surfaces of castings using screed or trowel
- Cut cured concrete pipe sections with saw or chisel, and cement sections together to form odd shaped fittings.
Concrete products machine operators
- Set up, adjust and operate single-function machines to mix, drill, grind and cut concrete to specifications in the manufacture of concrete products
- Check products for quality control, repair flaws and perform ongoing machine adjustments and minor maintenance as necessary
- Move products using forklift, crane or hydraulic hoist
- Record manufacturing information such as quantity, size and type of goods produced.
Clay products forming and finishing machine operators
- Set up and operate automatic machines that mix ingredients, extrude tempered clay mixture and cut extruded clay into sections to make products such as bricks, drain tiles and porcelain insulators
- Operate mechanical or hydraulic ram and hot-presses to form pottery and porcelain ware
- Prepare and mix slip and fill moulds with slip to form pottery and porcelain ware such as jugs, cups, sinks and toilet bowls
- Operate kiln to bake clay products to specified hardness.
Stone forming and finishing workers
- Operate blade or wire saws to cut blocks of stone to specified dimensions
- Operate machines to grind and polish surfaces of stone blocks, slabs or other stone products to specific shape or design and to produce smooth finish
- Operate sandblasting equipment to cut inscriptions or decorative designs in stone monuments
- Finish stone products with spray paint and by mounting plaques or installing concrete bases
- Operate stone-dressing lathe to sharpen and dress grindstones that grind logs into pulp
- Operate machine to drill holes in blocks or slabs of stone according to specifications.
- Some secondary school education may be required.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- Experience as a helper or labourer in concrete, clay or stone products manufacturing may be required.
- Mould makers in this unit group who construct and repair wooden forms may require some carpentry or woodworking experience.
- Mobility is possible between workers within each of the concrete, clay and stone manufacturing sectors, but there is little or no mobility between these manufacturing sectors.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Concrete finishers
- Helpers and labourers in concrete, clay and stone products manufacturing
9611 Labourers in mineral and metal processingHelpers and labourers in concrete, clay and stone products manufacturing
9611 Labourers in mineral and metal processing)
- Inspectors of concrete, clay and stone products
9415 Inspectors and testers, mineral and metal processingInspectors of concrete, clay and stone products
9415 Inspectors and testers, mineral and metal processing)
5136 Painters, sculptors and other visual artistsSculptors
5136 Painters, sculptors and other visual artists)
- Stone carvers and potters
5244 Artisans and craftspersonsStone carvers and potters
5244 Artisans and craftspersons)
- Stone masons
7281 BricklayersStone masons
- Supervisors of workers in this unit group
9211 Supervisors, mineral and metal processingSupervisors of workers in this unit group
9211 Supervisors, mineral and metal processing)