9413 Glass forming and finishing machine operators and glass cutters
End of Quick search
Lead statementMachine operators in this unit group operate multi-function process control machinery or single-function machines to melt, form, cut or finish flat glass, glassware, bottles, and other glass products. Glass cutters cut flat glass of various thicknesses to specified sizes and shapes by hand. They are employed by glass and glass products manufacturing companies.
- bottle machine operator – glass products manufacturing
- float operator – glass forming
- glass beveller
- glass edger
- glass moulder
- glass-blowing machine operator
- glass-finishing machine operator
- glass-pressing machine operator
- hand glass cutter
- mirror maker
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Glass process control operators
- Operate multi-function process control machinery through control panels, computer terminals or other control systems to mix and melt raw materials; heat, anneal, temper or form float glass or glass products; and coat glass with silver or other metals and materials
- Observe gauges, computer printouts and video monitors to verify specified processing conditions and make adjustments as necessary
- Maintain shift log of production and other data
- May operate process control machinery to cut glass or assemble glass window units
- May clean and maintain process machinery
- May ensure adequate levels of oil, soap, talc or other materials used in machine production of glass.
Glass forming machine operators
- Set up and adjust automatic glass feeding, flowing and forming machines
- Operate and maintain machines that press or blow molten glass in moulds to form or shape containers, such as bottles, jars and drinking glasses
- Operate electric kilns that heat glass sheets and mould to the shape and curve of metal jigs
- Spray or swab moulds with oil solutions to prevent adhesion of glass
- Weigh, measure and check production samples to assess conformance to specifications using scales and gauges and by visual verification.
Glass finishing machine operators
- Set up and adjust glass and glass-product finishing machines
- Operate and maintain finishing machines to grind, drill, sand, bevel, decorate, wash or polish glass or glass products
- Visually inspect products for quality
- Record manufacturing information such as quantity, size and type of goods produced.
- Jig, measure and mark glass or place pattern on or under glass for cutting
- Examine and mark defective glass to obtain best cut
- Cut glass along marked outlines or around pattern using hand tools
- Smooth rough edges using belt sander or smoothing wheels
- Set up, operate and adjust computerized or robotic glass cutting equipment
- Monitor process for product quality.
- Completion of secondary school may be required.
- Experience as a machine operator helper in glass manufacturing is usually required for machine operators in this unit group.
- Experience as a glass cutter helper is usually required for manual glass cutters.
- Mobility is possible among the various types of machine operators in this unit group.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.