9411 Machine operators, mineral and metal processing
End of Quick search
Lead statementWorkers in this unit group operate machinery to process mineral ore and metal. They are employed in mineral ore and metal processing plants such as copper, lead and zinc refineries, uranium processing plants, steel mills, aluminum plants, precious metal refineries and cement processing plants.
- aluminum classifier
- asbestos dryer
- billet heater
- brick and tile crusher operator
- cement miller
- extrusion press operator
- foil-winding machine operator
- ladle pourer
- lead refiner
- lime kiln operator
- mica sheet laminator
- quenching car operator
- scrap metal shredder
- sintering machine operator
- slurry equipment operator
- steel roller
- uranium classifier operator
- zinc cell operator
Machine operators, mineral and metal processing, perform some or all of the following duties:
- Set up, prepare and adjust mineral ore, metal and cement processing machinery to carry out one step in the overall mineral ore or metal processing operation
- Operate single-function machinery to grind, separate, filter, mix, treat, cast, roll, refine or otherwise process mineral ores
- Observe gauges, meters, computer printouts, video monitors and products to ensure correct operation of machinery and verify processing conditions
- Make adjustments to machinery as required
- Record production information and complete reports
- May assist with machinery maintenance or repair.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- Experience as a labourer in mineral and metal processing is usually required for machine operators.
- There is little mobility among the various types of machine operators within the mineral and metal processing industry.
- With experience, machine operators may progress to central control and process operators in mineral and metal processing.