8616 Logging and forestry labourers
End of Quick search
Lead statementLogging and forestry labourers perform a variety of manual tasks such as attaching choker cables to logs, planting trees, clearing brush, spraying chemicals, cleaning up landing areas and assisting other workers in woodlands operations. They are employed by logging companies and contractors.
- forestry labourer
- logging labourer
- seasonal tree planter
- swamper – logging and forestry
Logging and forestry labourers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Assist other workers at logging sites
- Attach chokers or cables to felled trees for yarding
- Plant trees using manual tools
- Spray herbicides from the ground using manual spraying equipment
- Clear trails through woodlands using chain saws
- Clean up landing areas at logging sites.
- Completion of secondary school may be required.
- Completion of pre-employment safety courses may be required.
- Several weeks of formal and on-the-job training are provided.
- Workplace hazardous materials information system (WHMIS) certificate may be required.
- Chemicals application licence may be required.
- There is mobility among jobs in this unit group.
- Progression to other positions, such as silviculture and forestry worker, chain saw and skidder operator or logging machinery operator, is possible with experience.