6541 Security guards and related security service occupations
End of Quick search
Lead statementThis unit group includes workers who guard and implement security measures to protect property against theft, vandalism and fire, control access to establishments, maintain order and enforce regulations at public events and within establishments, conduct private investigations for clients or employers and provide other protective services not elsewhere classified. They are employed by public or private security agencies, residential complexes, educational, cultural, financial and health institutions, retail establishments, businesses and industry, investigation service companies, transportation facilities, and organizations throughout the private and public sectors, or they may be self-employed.
- airport security guard
- alarm investigator
- armoured car guard
- automatic teller machine (ATM) guard
- bodyguard (except police)
- corporate security officer
- gate attendant – security
- house detective
- night guard
- postal inspection officer
- preboarding security guard
- private investigator
- private security officer
- retail loss prevention officer
- security guard
- store detective
- theft prevention officer
The following is a summary of main duties for some occupations in this unit group:
- Control access to establishments, operate security control-room equipment and patrol assigned areas to guard against theft, vandalism and fire
- Enforce regulations to maintain order and resolve conflicts and to monitor establishment activities
- Ensure safety and emergency procedures are followed
- Issue passes and direct visitors to appropriate areas, check age identification of patrons, and perform security checks of passengers and luggage at airports.
Armoured car guards
- Drive and guard armoured trucks, pick-up and deliver cash and valuables to banks, automated teller machines and retail establishments.
Corporate security officers
- Investigate unlawful acts of employees or patrons of establishments
- Recommend security systems such as electronic detection devices and access devices.
- Conduct investigations to locate missing persons
- Obtain information for use in civil and criminal litigation matters or for other purposes
- May also conduct polygraph tests (integrity surveys) for clients.
Retail loss prevention officers
- Prevent and detect shoplifting and theft in retail establishments.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- A college diploma in law and security or police technology may be required.
- Training is provided for airport security guards and establishment-specific training may be provided for security occupations in this unit group.
- Security guards carrying firearms require a licence.
- Armoured car drivers require a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) for both restricted and non-restricted firearms.
- In Quebec, a permit issued by the Sûreté du Québec is required to work as a private detective or security officer.
- Corporate security officers may require experience as a police officer.
- Private investigators require provincial licensure.
- Responsible beverage service certification is usually required for security staff in establishments serving alcoholic beverages.