6521 Travel counsellors
End of Quick search
Lead statementTravel counsellors advise clients on travel options and tour packages, make bookings and reservations, prepare tickets and receive payment. They are employed in travel agencies, transportation and tourism firms and hotel chains.
- reservation agent – travel agency
- travel agent
- travel consultant
Travel counsellors perform some or all of the following duties:
- Provide travel information to clients regarding destinations, transportation and accommodation options and travel costs, and recommend suitable products
- Plan and organize vacation travel for individuals or groups
- Make transportation and accommodation reservations using computerized reservation and ticketing system
- Sell single fare tickets and package tours to clients
- Promote particular destinations, tour packages and other travel services
- Investigate new travel destinations, hotels and other facilities and attractions
- Provide travel tips regarding tourist attractions, foreign currency, customs, languages and travel safety.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- A college diploma or vocational training in travel or tourism is usually required.
- Certification with the Association of Canadian Travel Agencies (ACTA ) may be required.
- Progression to managerial positions is possible with experience.