0511 Library, archive, museum and art gallery managers
End of Quick search
Lead statementLibrary, archive, museum and art gallery managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of libraries, archives, museums, art galleries or departments within such institutions. They are employed in libraries, archives, museums and non-retail art galleries.
- archives director
- art gallery manager
- assistant director of archives
- chief librarian
- library director
- museum administrator
- museum executive director
Library, archive, museum and art gallery managers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of a library or library system, archive or archive system, museum or art gallery or a technical department within such an institution
- Develop and administer policies and programs
- Prepare and administer budgets
- Develop, promote and implement public relations and promotional programs
- Prepare funding and grant applications and proposals
- Prepare operational and financial reports, analyses and recommendations
- Recruit and provide training for professional, technical and clerical staff
- May perform the duties of a librarian, archivist or curator in smaller institutions.
- A graduate degree in library and information science
and several years of experience as a librarian, including supervisory experience are required.
- A graduate degree in archival science or history
and several years of experience as an archivist or in historical research, including supervisory experience are required.
Museum and art gallery managers
- A graduate degree related to a particular collection or a training program in arts administration
and several years of experience as a curator, conservator or artist or experience in other related museum and art gallery work are usually required.
- There is mobility between library and archive managers and between museum and art gallery managers.