9612 Labourers in metal fabrication
End of Quick search
Lead statementLabourers in this unit group remove excess metal and unwanted materials from metal parts, castings and other metal products and perform other labouring activities. They are employed in structural steel, boiler and platework fabrication plants, heavy machinery manufacturing plants, sheet metal fabrication shops, shipbuilding and other metal products manufacturing companies.
- blacksmith helper
- buffing machine tender – metal products manufacturing
- labourer – metal fabrication
- metal cleaner – metal products manufacturing
- metalworking machine helper
- plater helper – metal fabrication
- shipfitter helper
- shotblaster – metal fabrication
- wheelabrator operator – metal products manufacturing
Labourers in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Read and interpret work orders
- Operate metal cleaning equipment such as wheelabrators, deburrers and shotblasters to remove excess welds, rust, scale and other material from surfaces of metal parts, castings and other metal products
- Polish metal products to mirror finish
- Immerse metal products in cleaning solutions
- Assist structural steel and platework fitters, sheet metal workers, metalworking machine operators or other metal workers
- Transport raw materials and finished metal products manually or using hoists or other devices
- Sort metal sheets and parts, scrap metal and other materials
- Clean work areas and equipment
- Load and unload vehicles using hand truck or dolly
- May cut, grind or chip excess metal from metal products using hand tools.
- Some secondary school education may be required.
- There is some mobility among occupations in this unit group.
- Progression to metalworking machine operator positions is possible with experience.