9217 Supervisors, textile, fabric, fur and leather products processing and manufacturing
End of Quick search
Lead statementSupervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers engaged in textile, fabric, fur and leather products processing and manufacturing. They are employed by textile manufacturing companies, tanneries and other manufacturers of fabric, fur and leather products.
- boot and shoe foreman/woman
- canvas products manufacturing foreman/woman
- cutting department foreman/woman, fabric
- dye room supervisor
- embroidery supervisor – fabric products
- finishing supervisor – textiles
- foreman/woman – textile processing
- fur dressing foreman/woman
- hat and cap makers foreman/woman
- sample room foreman/woman, leather products
- sewing machine operators supervisor
- stitching department supervisor
- supervisor, knitting
- tannery foreman/woman
Supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of production workers who operate machines to process natural, synthetic and hybrid textile fibre, yarn and thread; bleach, dye and finish textiles; operate manufacturing machines to cut, stitch and produce fabric, fur or leather garments and other products; and inspect textiles products
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity and product quality
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policies
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports
- May set up machines and equipment.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Post-secondary education in textile technology or a related field may be required for some positions in this group.
- Several years of experience as a worker in the unit group being supervised are usually required.
- Experience may be required in a specific process, or with a specific product or type of equipment.
- There is some mobility among supervisory positions in this group.
- Progression to managerial positions is possible with experience.