8615 Oil and gas drilling, servicing and related labourers
End of Quick search
Lead statementLabourers in this unit group carry out a variety of general labouring duties and operate equipment to assist in the drilling and servicing of oil and gas wells. This unit group also includes labourers who assist in geophysical prospecting for oil and gas. They are employed by drilling and well servicing contractors and by petroleum producing companies.
- floorman/woman – oil and gas drilling
- helper, wireline
- labourer, oil field
- service rig helper
- swamper – oil and gas
- well treatment helper
Labourers in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Manipulate sections of pipe or drill stem at the rig floor during drilling and during the removal and replacement of strings of pipe or drill stem and drill bit
- Maintain drilling equipment on the drill floor
- Handle, sort and move drill tools, pipe, cement and other materials
- Clean up rig areas
- Assist in setting up, taking down and transporting drilling and service rigs and service equipment
- May drive trucks to transport materials and well service equipment.
- Completion of secondary school may be required.
- Completion of introductory college or petroleum industry-approved training courses may be required.
- Certificates in hydrogen sulphide awareness, workplace hazardous materials information system (WHMIS) or transportation of dangerous goods (TDG) may be required.
- Progression to more senior operating positions is possible with experience.