8614 Mine labourers
End of Quick search
Lead statementMine labourers carry out a variety of general labouring duties to assist in the extraction of coal, minerals and ore, and in other services in support of underground mining. They are employed by coal, metal and non-metallic mineral mines.
- chute puller
- mine helper
- mine labourer
- miner helper – underground mining
- pit scaler – underground mining
- shoveller – underground mining
- underground labourer – mining
Mine labourers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Assist other mine workers in maintaining or constructing underground installations
- Clean underground rooms, roadways, working areas and mining equipment and conveyances using hand tools
- Load, move, sort and pile materials and supplies
- Clear spills of ore or coal using hand and power tools.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- A short period of introductory training is provided.
- In Ontario, mine labourers are registered in the basic common core program.
- There is mobility among jobs in this group.
- Progression to underground production and development miner or underground mine service and support worker is possible with experience and training.