7451 Longshore workers
End of Quick search
Lead statementLongshore workers transfer cargo throughout dock area and onto and from ships and other vessels. They are employed by marine cargo handling companies, shipping agencies and shipping lines.
- longshore worker
- ship loader operator
- tanker loader
Longshore workers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate industrial trucks, tractors and other mobile equipment to transfer cargo, such as containers, crated items, automobiles and pallet-mounted machinery, around dock to within range of cranes and hoists
- Operate winches or other hoisting devices to load and unload cargo onto and from ships and other vessels
- Operate mechanical towers to load vessels with materials such as coal and ore
- Operate equipment to transfer bulk materials, such as grain, to hold of vessels
- Connect hoses and operate equipment to transfer liquid materials into storage tanks on vessels
- Perform other activities such as lashing and shoring cargo aboard ships, opening and closing hatches, cleaning holds of ships and rigging cargo.
- Some secondary school education may be required.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- Progression to foreman/woman or supervisor of longshore workers is possible with experience.