6623 Other sales related occupations
End of Quick search
Lead statementThis unit group includes workers who sell goods or services during home demonstrations or by telephone soliciting, retail exhibitions or street vending. They are employed by a wide range of retail and wholesale establishments, manufacturers, telemarketing companies and call centres, or they may be self-employed.
- canvasser – retail
- demonstrator – retail
- direct distributor – retail
- door-to-door salesperson
- home demonstrator – retail
- street vendor
- telephone solicitor
The following is a summary of main duties for some occupations in this unit group:
- Direct distributors, contact potential customers by phone or through personal contacts, demonstrate and sell products directly to individual customers or at sales parties and deliver purchased goods to customers.
- Door-to-door salespersons solicit sales and sell merchandise to residents of private homes.
- Street vendors set up and display merchandise on sidewalks or at public events to sell to the public.
- Telephone solicitors and telemarketers contact businesses or private individuals, by telephone, to solicit sales for goods or services or conduct market surveys.
- Demonstrators arrange sales demonstration appointments, and show, describe and sell goods or services at wholesale, retail and industrial establishments, and at exhibitions, trade shows and private homes.
- Some secondary school education is usually required. High school graduation may be required by some employers.
- Self-employed street vendors and door-to-door salespersons may require a municipal merchant's permit.
- Progression to related supervisory positions is possible with additional training or experience.