6524 Ground and water transport ticket agents, cargo service representatives and related clerks
End of Quick search
Lead statementTicket agents, cargo service representatives and related clerks (except airline), quote fares and rates, make reservations, issue tickets, process cargo shipment, check baggage and perform other related customer service duties to assist travellers. They are employed by bus and railway companies, freight forwarding and shipping companies, boat cruise operators and other public transit establishments and by travel wholesalers.
- bus ticket agent
- cargo customer service representative – railway
- counter service agent, railway
- railway passenger agent
- reservations clerk – cruise line
- reservations clerk, railway
- ticket agent (except airline)
Ticket agents in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Answer customer inquiries, quote fares and assist clients in planning travel times and routes
- Reserve seats for tour companies, travel agencies, wholesalers and the general public
- Issue tickets, handle cash transactions and check baggage
- Receive and record bookings for package tours from retail travel agencies and supply information regarding available vacancies when working for wholesale travel companies.
Cargo service representatives in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Quote fare and rates for cargo shipment
- Compute shipment costs including charges for services and insurance using rate tables and schedules and prepare and maintain shipping and other documents
- Check in passenger baggage and sort for loading by baggage handlers or may load baggage directly into buses, railway cars or cruise ships
- Trace lost or misdirected passenger baggage or cargo shipment.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Up to 10 weeks of training may be provided.
- Ticket agents and cargo service representatives may perform the same duties depending on the size and location of the operations.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible through experience.