End of Quick search
Lead statementLibrarians select, develop, organize and maintain library collections and provide advisory services for users. They are employed in libraries or in a department within a library.
- cataloguer – library
- liaison librarian
- library consultant
- library supervisor
Librarians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Recommend acquisition of books, periodicals and audio-visual, interactive media and other materials for inclusion in library collection
- Provide reference services
- Select, classify, catalogue and weed library materials
- Prepare bibliographies, indexes, reading lists, guides and other finding aids
- Develop systems to access library collections
- Perform manual, on-line and interactive media reference searches to assist users in accessing library materials and arrange for interlibrary loans
- Develop taxonomies using various information and data sources
- Provide specialized programs for children, seniors and other groups
- Conduct library information and orientation training programs and tours
- Perform related administrative duties and supervise library technicians, assistants and clerks.
- A master's degree in library science is required.
- Progression to library management positions is possible with experience.