3011 Nursing co-ordinators and supervisors
End of Quick search
Lead statementNursing co-ordinators and supervisors co-ordinate and supervise the activities of registered nurses, registered psychiatric nurses, licensed practical nurses and other nursing personnel in the provision of patient care. They are employed in health care institutions such as hospitals, clinics and nursing homes, and in nursing agencies.
- nursing care co-ordinator
- nursing services co-ordinator
- nursing supervisor
- patient care co-ordinator – nursing
- psychiatric nursing supervisor
- public health nursing supervisor
Nursing co-ordinators and supervisors perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise registered nurses, licensed practical nurses and other nursing personnel
- Evaluate patients' needs and ensure that required nursing care is delivered
- Set up and co-ordinate nursing services in conjunction with other health services
- Ensure quality nursing care is provided and appropriate administrative procedures are followed
- Assist in the establishment of unit policies and procedures
- Administer nursing unit budget and ensure that supplies and equipment are available
- Assist in the selection, evaluation and professional development of nursing personnel
- Collaborate on research projects related to nursing and medical care and multidisciplinary services
- May provide direct patient care.
- Completion of a university, college or other approved registered nursing, or registered psychiatric nursing, program is required.
- Courses in management studies or a degree, diploma or certificate in management or administration may be required.
- Registration as a registered nurse by a provincial or territorial regulatory body is required
registration as a registered psychiatric nurse in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia and the Yukon is required.
- Clinical experience as a registered nurse, or as a registered psychiatric nurse, is required.
- Progression to management positions, such as director of nursing, is possible with experience.