2253 Drafting technologists and technicians
End of Quick search
Lead statementDrafting technologists and technicians prepare engineering designs, drawings and related technical information, in multidisciplinary engineering teams or in support of engineers, architects or industrial designers, or they may work independently. They are employed by consulting and construction companies, utility, resource and manufacturing companies, all levels of government and by a wide range of other establishments.
- architectural draftsperson
- computer-assisted design and drafting technologist
- computer-assisted drafting (CAD) technician
- design and drafting technologist
- drafting technician
- drafting technologist
- electrical draftsperson
- electromechanical draftsperson
- electronic draftsperson
- engineering design and drafting technologist
- mechanical draftsperson
- steel detailer – drafting
- structural draftsperson
- structural steel drafter-detailer
- supervisor, drafting office
Drafting technologists perform some or all of the following duties:
- Develop and prepare engineering designs and drawings from preliminary concepts, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets and other data
- Operate computer-assisted design (CAD) and drafting workstations
- Develop and prepare design sketches
- Complete documentation packages and produce drawing sets
- Check and verify design drawings to conform to specifications and design data
- Write technical reports
- Prepare contracts and tender documents
- Prepare construction specifications, costs and material estimates
- Supervise and train other technologists, technicians and drafters.
Drafting technicians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Develop and prepare engineering drawings, plans, diagrams or layouts from sketches
- Operate computer-assisted drafting equipment or a conventional drafting station.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a two- to three-year college program in engineering design and drafting technology or in a related field is usually required for drafting and design technologists.
- Completion of a one- to two-year college program in drafting
or Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program
or Four to five years of related experience plus completion of college or industry courses in drafting are usually required for drafting technicians.
- Trade certification for draftspersons is available, but voluntary in Ontario.
- Certification in engineering design and drafting technology or in a related field through provincial associations of engineering/applied science technologists and technicians may be required by employers.
- A period of supervised work experience, usually two years, is required before certification.
- Mobility is possible to civil, mechanical, electrical or other engineering design technologies through educational or work specialization.
- Senior and supervisory drafting and design technology workers require experience.