1243 Medical administrative assistants
End of Quick search
Lead statementMedical administrative assistants perform a variety of secretarial and administrative duties in doctor's offices, hospitals, medical clinics and other medical settings.
- administrative assistant – medical
- medical secretary
- ward secretary
Medical secretaries perform some or all of the following duties:
- Schedule and confirm medical appointments and receive and communicate messages for medical staff and patients
- Enter and format electronically based medical reports and correspondence and prepare spreadsheets and documents for review
- Interview patients in order to complete forms, documents and case histories
- Complete insurance and other claim forms
- Initiate and maintain confidential medical files and records
- Prepare draft agendas for meetings and take, transcribe and distribute minutes
- Prepare financial statements and billing
- Establish and maintain various internal office administrative support procedures such as document tracking and filing and monthly reporting
- Order supplies and maintain inventory
- Determine and establish office procedures and routines
- May supervise and train other staff in procedures and in use of current software.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a one- or two-year college program or other specialized courses for secretaries or medical secretaries is usually required.