9611 Labourers in mineral and metal processing
End of Quick search
Lead statementLabourers in this unit group perform material handling, clean-up, packaging and other elemental activities related to mineral ore and metal processing. They are employed in mineral ore and metal processing plants such as copper, lead and zinc refineries, uranium processing plants, steel mills, aluminum plants, precious metal refineries, cement processing plants, clay, glass and stone processing plants and foundries.
- asbestos worker – mineral processing
- brick and tile kiln cleaner
- core shop labourer – foundry
- extrusion helper – primary metal processing
- fibreglass oven charger helper
- furnace loader – primary metal and mineral products processing
- glass packer
- lime kiln operator helper – mineral products processing
- metal pourer helper
- rolling mill worker – primary metal processing
- salt screening labourer
- tailings disposal labourer – primary metal processing
Labourers in mineral and metal processing perform some or all of the following duties:
- Transport raw materials, finished products, scrap and recyclable materials throughout plant manually or using forklift or other powered equipment
- Feed conveyors, crushers and other equipment; open valves and start pumps; skim dross from furnaces; sort, stack, bundle and stamp materials; and perform other activities to assist process and machine operators in mineral ore and metal processing
- Clean work areas and equipment
- May assist with minor repairs and maintenance.
- Completion of secondary school may be required for some positions in this group.
- Progression to machine and process operator positions is possible with experience.