9446 Industrial sewing machine operators
End of Quick search
Lead statementIndustrial sewing machine operators operate sewing machines to sew fabric, fur, leather or synthetic materials to produce or repair garments and other articles. They are employed in clothing, footwear, textile products, fur products and other manufacturing establishments and by furriers.
- fur sewing machine operator
- leather products sewing machine operator
- lining stitcher
- sample sewer
- serging machine operator
- sewing machine operator
- shoe sewer
Industrial sewing machine operators perform some or all of the following duties:
- Assemble pieces of garments by matching patterns and dye lots
- Operate single, double or multi-needle serging, flat bed felling, banding and other sewing machines, to join sections of garments or other articles into finished products on a piece-work or production basis
- Operate fur sewing machines to join fur pelt strips to required size and shape and join pelts into garment sections or shells
- Operate stitching machines to sew leather parts together for leather garments, handbags, shoes and other leather articles
- Operate serging machines to sew and overcast edges of material simultaneously
- Operate tackers, pocketsetters, buttonhole makers and fusing, hemmer and other machines to perform various operations in the fabrication of garments and other articles
- Examine garments and operate sewing machines, sergers and other machines to repair garments and other articles during the manufacturing process
- Complete production reports
- May perform minor maintenance and repairs on sewing machine.
- Some secondary school education is usually required.
- Experience operating a sewing machine is usually required.
- On-the-job training may be provided.
- Industrial sewing machine operators may progress to supervisory positions with experience.
- Fabric, fur and leather cutters
Fabric, fur and leather cutters
- Mattress sewing and embroidery machine operators
9442 Weavers, knitters and other fabric making occupationsMattress sewing and embroidery machine operators
9442 Weavers, knitters and other fabric making occupations)
- Shoe repairers and shoemakers
Shoe repairers and shoemakers
- Supervisors of sewing machine operators
9217 Supervisors, textile, fabric, fur and leather products processing and manufacturingSupervisors of sewing machine operators
9217 Supervisors, textile, fabric, fur and leather products processing and manufacturing)
- Tailors, dressmakers, furriers and milliners
Tailors, dressmakers, furriers and milliners