7514 Delivery and courier service drivers
End of Quick search
Lead statementDelivery and courier service drivers drive automobiles, vans and light trucks to pick up and deliver various products. They are employed by dairies, drug stores, newspaper distributors, take-out food establishments, dry cleaners, mobile caterers, courier and messenger service companies and many other establishments, or they may be self-employed.
- bread deliverer
- canteen driver
- courier service driver
- delivery driver
- driver salesperson
- dry cleaning driver
- mail service courier
- newspaper delivery driver
- pizza delivery driver
- vending machine driver-supplier
Delivery and courier service drivers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate and drive automobiles, vans and light trucks to pick up and deliver various products, such as fast food, newspapers, magazines, bakery and dairy products, and items such as dry cleaning, envelopes, packages and parcels
- Perform pre-trip and post-trip inspection of vehicle
- Plan delivery travel schedules and service routes
- Load and unload cargo, goods or merchandise
- Provide customer service by selling products, delivering over established routes and accepting or making payments for goods
- Record information on pick-ups and deliveries, vehicle mileage and fuel costs and report any incidents or problems encountered
- May scan and sort freight or cargo for delivery
- May assemble, install or set-up delivered goods or merchandise
- May communicate with central dispatch using mobile communications equipment.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- A driver's licence appropriate to the class of vehicle being driven is required.
- One year of safe driving experience is usually required.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- Eligibility for bonding and transportation of dangerous goods (TGD) certification may be required for delivery and courier drivers.
- Progression to supervisory positions or to non-driving occupations, such as driver trainer or dispatcher is possible with additional training or experience.