7304 Supervisors, railway transport operations
End of Quick search
Lead statementSupervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of railway and yard locomotive engineers, railway yard workers and railway labourers. They are employed by railway transport companies.
- railway transport operations supervisor
- road foreman/woman, freight train
- yard foreman/woman – railway
- yardmaster – railway
Supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate trains, drive locomotives in railway yards and perform other duties related to railway operations
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve performance
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Train staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policy
- Recommend personnel actions such as hiring and promotions
- Prepare work reports.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- A Canadian Rail Operating Rules certificate is required.
- A certificate in accordance with the Railway Employee Qualification Standards Regulations is required.
- Several years of railway operations experience are required.