6343 Shoe repairers and shoemakers
End of Quick search
Lead statementShoe repairers repair footwear and shoemakers make specialized and custom shoes and boots. They are employed in shoe repair shops or custom shoemaking establishments, or they may be self-employed.
- custom shoemaker
- orthopedic shoemaker
- shoe repairer
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Discuss type of footwear to be made and obtain measurements from customer
- Select patterns and leather or other material and outline and cut patterns
- Select or assemble lasts, fasten insoles to lasts and sew or glue other parts into place
- Trim, dress and otherwise finish boots or shoes
- Estimate custom footwear costs and receive payment from customers
- May supervise other shoemakers and shoe repairers.
- Repair soles, heels and other parts of footwear using sewing, buffing and other shoe repair machines, materials and equipment
- Repair belts, luggage, purses and similar products
- Estimate footwear repair costs and take payment.
- Some secondary school may be required.
- Several months of on-the-job training is provided for shoe repairers.
- Extensive on-the-job training is provided for shoemakers.
- Shoemakers may require experience as shoe repairers.
- Shoe repairers may progress to shoemakers with experience.