6221 Technical sales specialists - wholesale trade
End of Quick search
Lead statementTechnical sales specialists, wholesale trade, sell a range of technical goods and services, such as scientific, agricultural and industrial products, electricity, telecommunications services and computer services, to governments and to commercial and industrial establishments in domestic and international localities. They are employed by establishments that produce or provide technical goods and services, such as pharmaceutical companies, industrial equipment manufacturing companies, grain elevators, computer services firms, engineering firms and hydroelectric companies, or they may be self-employed technical sales specialists/agents who contract their services to other companies. Technical sales specialists who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
- aircraft sales representative
- communication equipment sales representative
- construction equipment sales representative
- electricity sales representative
- grain elevator district manager
- heavy equipment sales representative
- industrial supplies sales representative
- medical instruments sales agent
- sales engineer, technical support
- software sales representative
- technical sales representative
- technical sales supervisor
- technical support specialist – wholesale trade
Technical sales specialists perform some or all of the following duties:
- Promote sales to existing clients
- Identify and solicit potential clients
- Assess clients' needs and resources and recommend the appropriate goods or services
- Provide input into product design where goods or services must be tailored to suit clients' needs
- Develop reports and proposals as part of sales presentation to illustrate benefits from use of good or service
- Estimate costs of installing and maintaining equipment or service
- Prepare and administer sales contracts
- Consult with clients after sale to resolve problems and to provide ongoing support
- Troubleshoot technical problems related to equipment
- May train customers' staff in the operation and maintenance of equipment
- May conduct sales transactions through Internet-based electronic commerce
- May supervise the activities of other technical staff and sales specialists.
- A university degree or college diploma in a program related to the product or service is usually required.
- Experience in sales or in a technical occupation related to the product or service may be required.
- Fluency in a specific foreign language, and/or foreign work or travel experience may be required for technical sales specialists seeking employment with companies that import or export technical goods or services.
- Technical sales supervisors require experience as a technical sales specialist.
- Extensive company training programs for technical sales specialists may be provided by employers.
- Progression to sales management positions is possible with additional training or experience.