1522 Storekeepers and partspersons
End of Quick search
Lead statementStorekeepers and partspersons sort, store and issue parts and supplies for use by the establishment in which they work and for sale to the public. They are employed by manufacturing companies, warehouses, retail and wholesale establishments, mining, forestry and construction companies, repair shops, hospitals and other establishments.
- ammunition storekeeper
- automotive partsperson – retail
- material keeper
- medical supply clerk
- motor vehicle parts clerk
- parts clerk
- parts supplier
- ship storeman/woman
- tool room attendant
Storekeepers and partspersons perform some or all of the following duties:
- Receive and sort incoming parts and supplies
- Store items in an orderly and accessible manner in a warehouse, tool room, supply room or other area
- Process incoming requisitions and issue or distribute parts and supplies for internal usage
- Maintain records of orders and the amount, kind and location of parts and supplies on hand using manual or computerized inventory system
- Prepare requisition orders to replenish parts and supplies
- Sell spare and replacement parts for motor vehicles, machinery and equipment in a retail setting
- Advise retail customers or internal users on appropriateness of parts, supplies or materials requested.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three-year apprenticeship program
or completion of specialized training in high school and a one-year college program for partspersons may be required.
- Trade certification for partspersons is available, but voluntary, in all provinces and territories.
- Experience in a related clerical occupation, or as a warehouse worker, may be required for partspersons.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified partspersons upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- The Red Seal endorsement allows for interprovincial mobility.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with additional training or experience.