1228 Employment insurance, immigration, border services and revenue officers
End of Quick search
Lead statementOfficers in this unit group administer and enforce laws and regulations related to immigration, customs, border crossing, tax revenue, employment insurance and other government benefit services. They are employed by government agencies.
- border services officer (BSO)
- customs inspector
- customs officer
- employment insurance agent
- employment insurance benefits control officer
- immigration agent – government services
- immigration examining officer
- revenue officer
- tax collection officer
- tax enforcement officer
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Determine admissibility of persons seeking entry into Canada by examining documents and conducting interviews
- Grant landed-immigrant status, admit persons or order detention or deportation
- Locate and apprehend persons presumed to be infringing on immigration laws
- Assist in the removal of deported people by seeking authorization from receiving countries and securing necessary travel documents
- Appear as a witness in cases related to immigration appeals.
Border services officers and customs inspectors
- Question persons at border points to determine the admissibility of goods and assess duty
- Inspect baggage to detect undeclared merchandise, or contraband
- Inform manufacturers and shippers of customs and laws and procedures
- Observe fabrication of articles affected by customs laws and conduct appraisals
- Board carriers arriving from foreign countries to determine nature of cargo to ensure compliance with customs and commerce laws
- Inspect goods imported by mail
- May arrest and detain individuals suspected of having committed a criminal offence under the Customs Act or certain other designated Criminal Code offences until police intervention is possible.
Excise tax revenue officers
- Audit accounting records to determine income, exemptions, payable taxes, compliance with reporting regulations and existence of fraud
- Examine accounting systems and internal controls of organizations
- Provide advice on reporting and evaluation methods for goods subject to taxation
- Prepare briefs and assist in searching and seizing records, and in preparing charges for court cases.
Government benefits services officers
- Determine the eligibility of persons applying for government benefits such as Employment Insurance (EI), Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and Old Age Security (OAS)
- Ascertain the facts on such issues as reasons for loss of employment and availability for work
- Monitor the payments of benefits and investigate claimants when there appears to be fraud or abuse.
- A bachelor's degree or college diploma is usually required.
- Several years of related administrative or regulatory experience may be required.
- Completion of specialized government training is required.
- Progression to managerial positions in these fields is possible with experience.