0016 Senior managers - construction, transportation, production and utilities
End of Quick search
Lead statementSenior managers in this unit group plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate, through middle managers, the overall operations of goods production, utility, transportation and construction companies. They formulate policies which establish the direction to be taken by these companies, either alone or in conjunction with other members of a board of directors. They work in establishments throughout the following industries: fishing, forestry, logging and agriculture; mining, oil and gas extraction; construction; transportation and warehousing; printing; manufacturing; and utilities or they may own and operate their own business.
- chief executive officer (CEO) – manufacturing company
- chief financial officer (CFO) – urban transit system
- executive vice-president – railway
- finance vice-president – mining company
- logging company corporate controller
- marketing vice-president – airline
- operations vice-president – electric power company
- petroleum production company regional vice-president
- publishing house general manager
- residential construction company president
- trucking company general manager
Senior managers in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Establish objectives for the company and formulate or approve policies and programs
- Authorize and organize the establishment of major departments and associated senior staff positions
- Allocate material, human and financial resources to implement company policies and programs; establish financial and administrative controls; formulate and approve promotional campaigns; and approve overall personnel planning
- Select middle managers, directors or other executive staff
- Co-ordinate the work of regions, divisions or departments
- Represent the company, or delegate representatives to act on behalf of the company, in negotiations or other official functions.
- A university degree or college diploma in engineering, business administration, commerce or other discipline related to the company's product is usually required.
- Several years of experience as a middle manager in goods production, utilities, transportation or construction are usually required.
- Specialization in a particular functional area or product is possible through specific university or college training in that area or through previous experience.
- Senior managers in finance usually require a professional accounting designation.
- There is mobility among senior management occupations.