7442 Waterworks and gas maintenance workers
End of Quick search
Lead statementWaterworks maintenance workers maintain and repair waterworks equipment and facilities. They are employed in water filtration and distribution plants and waste treatment plants. Gas maintenance workers check and perform routine maintenance and minor repairs to exterior and underground gas mains and distribution lines. They are employed by gas distribution companies.
- gas leak locator
- gas maintenance worker
- gas utility operator
- pipeline maintenance worker
- pipeline patrolman/woman
- utility plant maintenance worker
- waterworks maintenance worker
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
Waterworks maintenance workers
- Check, clean and lubricate waterworks equipment, such as pumping equipment, chlorination equipment and compressors
- Adjust and repair waterworks equipment under the direction of qualified tradesperson
- Search and locate reported water leaks and repair water-mains, valves or outlets
- Install water meters using hand and power tools.
Gas maintenance workers
- Check and lubricate gas pipeline valves
- Conduct routine survey of gas mains and distribution lines to detect and locate escaping gas using gas detecting devices
- Investigate reports of gas leaks to determine the exact location and extent of leaks
- Dig ground to expose gas lines and repair damaged pipes
- Keep record of work performed and location and condition of pipelines
- Provide information on underground gas distribution lines and observe excavation work to ensure that underground gas facilities are protected.
- Completion of secondary school may be required.
- Several years of experience as a labourer in the same company may be required.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- Drinking water certification is required in Quebec and Ontario for waterworks maintenance workers.
- Mobility between jobs in this unit group normally occurs within the same area of work, such as within waste water treatment plants, within water filtration and distribution plants or within gas distribution plants.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.