7335 Other small engine and small equipment repairers
End of Quick search
Lead statementWorkers in this unit group test, repair and service small gasoline and diesel-powered engines and equipment, such as garden tractors, lawn mowers and other related equipment. They are employed by dealer service shops and by independent service establishments.
- air-cooled engine mechanic
- gasoline-powered lawn mower repairer
- lawn and garden equipment technician
- small engine technician
- small equipment mechanic apprentice
- small equipment repairer
Workers in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Review work orders and discuss work to be performed with supervisor
- Inspect and test engines and other mechanical components using test devices to diagnose and isolate faults
- Adjust, repair or replace mechanical or electrical system parts and components using hand tools and equipment
- Test and adjust repaired equipment for proper performance
- Perform scheduled maintenance service on equipment
- Advise customers on work performed and general condition of equipment
- Determine estimates of repair cost.
- Completion of secondary school and training courses or a vocational program is usually required.
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program in small engine or equipment repair
or a combination of several years of work experience and high school or college courses in small engine or equipment repair are usually required for trade certification.
- Small engine or equipment mechanic trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Ontario and Nunavut.
- Inboard/outboard mechanic trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Ontario and British Columbia.
- Outdoor power equipment technician trade certification, for specified types of equipment, is available, but voluntary, in Manitoba, Alberta, British Columbia, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.