0822 Managers in horticulture
End of Quick search
Lead statementManagers in horticulture plan, organize, direct and control the activities of nursery and greenhouse staff who grow and market trees, shrubs, flowers and plants.
- Christmas tree farm operator
- flower grower
- greenhouse manager
- greenhouse operator
- nursery manager
- nursery operator
- plant grower – nursery
Managers in horticulture perform some or all of the following duties:
- Plan, organize, direct and control the operations of nurseries and greenhouses
- Establish the environmental conditions required to grow trees, shrubs, flowers and plants, and design planting and care schedules accordingly
- Determine type and quantity of stock to grow
- Supervise staff in planting, transplanting, feeding and spraying stock
- Identify and control insect, disease and weed problems
- Develop marketing plans
- Provide information to customers on gardening and on the care of trees, shrubs, flowers, plants and lawns
- Order materials such as fertilizer, garden and lawn care equipment, and other nursery and greenhouse related accessories
- Hire and manage staff, oversee training and set work schedules
- Maintain records on stock, finances and personnel.
- Completion of a college program in horticulture is usually required.
- Experience as a nursery or greenhouse supervisor is required.