Quick Search - Results
End of Quick search
7217 Contractors and Supervisors, Heavy Construction Equipment CrewsThis unit group includes excavating, grading, paving, drilling and blasting contractors who own and operate their own business. This unit group also includes supervisors who supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers classified in the following unit groups: Crane Operators (7371), Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction (7372), Heavy Equipment Operators (Except Crane) (7421), Longshore Workers (7451), Material Handlers (7452), Public Works Maintenance Equipment Operators (7422), Railway Track Maintenance Workers (7432) and Water Well Drillers (7373). They are employed in a wide range of establishments; places of employment are indicated in the above unit group descriptions.
- excavating contractor
- foreman/woman, demolition
- foreman/woman, drilling and blasting – construction
- foreman/woman, logging road construction
- foreman/woman, railway gang
- foreman/woman, railway track maintenance
- paving contractor
- pipeline construction supervisor
- road maintenance foreman/woman
- section foreman/woman, railway
- supervisor, heavy equipment operators
- supervisor, oil field construction
- supervisor, water well drilling
- track foreman/woman – railway
Contractors and supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who operate cranes and construction, paving, drilling, railway maintenance and other similar heavy equipment
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other project supervisors or managers
- Requisition materials and supplies
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve productivity
- Train or arrange for training of workers
- Recommend personnel actions such as hirings and promotions
- Prepare production and other reports
- May manage the operations of own company
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Several years of experience in the occupation supervised is required.
- Journeyman/woman trade certification in a relevant trade may be required.
- There is some mobility between occupations classified in this unit group.