End of Quick search
Lead statementLibrarians select, develop, organize and maintain library collections and provide advisory services for users. They are employed in libraries or other establishments with library services throughout the public and private sectors.
- cataloguer – library
- liaison librarian
- library consultant
- library supervisor
Librarians perform some or all of the following duties:
- Recommend acquisition of books, periodicals and audio-visual, interactive media and other materials for inclusion in library collection
- Provide reference services
- Select, classify, catalogue and weed library materials
- Prepare bibliographies, indexes, reading lists, guides and other finding aids
- Develop systems to access library collections
- Perform manual, on-line and interactive media reference searches to assist users in accessing library materials and arrange for interlibrary loans
- Develop taxonomies using various information and data sources
- Provide specialized programs for children, seniors and other groups
- Conduct library information and orientation training programs and tours
- Perform related administrative duties and supervise library technicians, assistants and clerks.
- A master's degree in library science or a master's degree in library and information studies
or a master's degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association is required.
- Progression to library management positions is possible with experience.