9462 Industrial butchers and meat cutters, poultry preparers and related workers
End of Quick search
Lead statementWorkers in this unit group prepare meat and poultry for further processing, for packaging or for marketing. They are employed in meat and poultry slaughtering, processing and packing establishments.
- beef boner
- ham cutter
- industrial butcher
- industrial meat cutter
- meat trimmer
- poultry preparer
Workers in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Industrial butchers slaughter livestock using stunning devices and knives; skin, clean and trim carcasses; remove viscera and other inedible parts from carcasses; split carcasses into smaller portions to facilitate handling; and may slaughter cattle, calves and sheep as prescribed by religious laws.
- Industrial meat cutters cut beef, lamb, pork or veal carcasses or sides or quarters of carcasses into primal cuts for further cutting, processing or packaging; remove bones from meat; and cut meat and poultry into specific cuts for institutional, commercial or other wholesale use.
- Poultry preparers slaughter poultry and remove inedible parts; remove feathers and singe and wash poultry to prepare for further processing or packaging.
- Trimmers remove skin, excess fat, bruises or other blemishes from carcasses or meat portions.
- Completion of secondary school may be required.
- For industrial meat cutters, completion of a program in industrial meat cutting
or Experience as an industrial butcher or trimmer is required.
- On-the-job training is provided for industrial butchers, poultry preparers and trimmers.
- Industrial meat cutters may progress to inspecting, testing and grading jobs.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Butchers, meat cutters and fishmongers - retail and wholesale
Butchers, meat cutters and fishmongers - retail and wholesale
- Meat graders
9465 Testers and graders, food, beverage and associated products processingMeat graders
9465 Testers and graders, food, beverage and associated products processing)
- Meat inspectors
2222 Agricultural and fish products inspectorsMeat inspectors
2222 Agricultural and fish products inspectors)
- Supervisors, meat packing
9213 Supervisors, food, beverage and associated products processingSupervisors, meat packing
9213 Supervisors, food, beverage and associated products processing)