6211 Retail sales supervisors
End of Quick search
Lead statementRetail sales supervisors supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers in the following unit groups: Retail Salespersons and Sales Clerks (6421), Cashiers (6611), Grocery Clerks and Store Shelf Stockers (6622) and Other Elemental Sales Occupations (6623). They are employed by stores and other retail businesses, wholesale businesses that sell on a retail basis to the public, rental service establishments and businesses involved in door-to-door soliciting and telemarketing.
- department store supervisor
- head cashier
- liquor store supervisor
- produce department supervisor
- rental service supervisor
- route supervisor, retail sales
- telemarketing supervisor
Retail sales supervisors perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise and co-ordinate sales staff and cashiers
- Assign sales workers to duties and prepare work schedules
- Authorize payments by cheque and the return of merchandise
- Sell merchandise to customers
- Resolve problems that arise, such as customer complaints and supply shortages
- Maintain specified inventory and order merchandise
- Prepare reports regarding sales volumes, merchandising and personnel matters
- Hire and train or arrange for the training of new sales staff.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Previous retail sales experience as a retail salesperson or sales clerk, cashier, telemarketer, door-to-door salesperson or rental agent is required.
- Progression to management positions in retail trade is possible with additional training or experience.