8442 Trappers and hunters
End of Quick search
Lead statementTrappers and hunters trap and hunt wild animals for pelts or live sale. They are usually self-employed and work on a seasonal basis.
- fur trapper
- game trapper
- Trappers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Set traps with bait and position traps along trails
- Operate snowmobiles or travel on foot, snowshoes or skis to patrol trapline
- Remove catch and reset traps and snares
- Kill and skin catch for pelts, and treat and pack pelts for marketing
- Trap live animals for sale to buyers or for relocation purposes
- Maintain and repair trapping equipment
- Maintain trails and access to trapping lines
- Trap designated animals for bounty or other control programs
- May monitor animal population in the trapping regions to ensure future sustainability.
- Hunters perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate boats or snowmobiles or travel on foot to reach hunting areas
- Kill wild animals using firearms or other weapons
- Skin dead animals for pelts using knives
- Treat, pack and transport pelts to processing plants or to public auctions
- Maintain hunting equipment
- May monitor animal population in the hunting regions to ensure future sustainability.
- Completion of trapping or hunting courses may be required in some provinces.
- A provincial trapping or hunting licence may be required.
- In some jurisdictions, trappers may be allocated trapping areas based on their experience.
- Animal control trappers or nuisance control trappers
74447444 Pest controllers and fumigators)
- Hunting guides
65326532 Outdoor sport and recreational guides)