8412 Oil and gas well drilling and related workers and services operators
End of Quick search
Lead statementOil and gas well drilling workers operate drilling and service rig machinery as intermediate members of the rig crew. Oil and gas well services operators drive trucks and operate specialized hydraulic pumping systems to place cement in wells or to treat wells with chemicals, sand mixtures or gases to stimulate production. Workers in this unit group are employed by drilling and well service contractors and by petroleum producing companies.
- pumpman/woman – oil field services
- pumper operator – oil field services
- control room operator – offshore drilling
- oil well cementer – oil field services
- motorhand – oil and gas drilling
- blender operator – oil field services
- acidizer – oil field services
- rig technician – derrickhand
- seismic buried facilities locator
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Training of up to three months with an experienced operator is required for oil and gas well services operators.
- Completion of petroleum industry-approved training courses may be required.
- One year of experience as a floorhand, assistant or labourer is usually required.
- Certificates in first aid, hydrogen sulphide awareness, blowout prevention, workplace hazardous materials information system (WHMIS), transportation of dangerous goods (TDG), cryogenic safety or in other safety concerns may be required.
- Rig technician certification for motorhands and derrickhands may be required by some employers.
- Progression to oil and gas well driller or service rig operator is possible with experience.
- Progression to supervisor of well services is possible for gas and oil well services operators.
- Contractors and supervisors, oil and gas drilling and services
- Oil and gas drilling, servicing and related labourers
- Oil and gas well drillers, servicers, testers and related workers