8231 Underground production and development miners
End of Quick search
Lead statementUnderground production and development miners drill, blast, operate mining machinery, and perform related duties to extract coal and ore in underground mines and to construct tunnels, passageways and shafts to facilitate mining operations. They are employed by coal, metal and non-metallic mineral underground mines and by specialized contractors in mine construction, shaft sinking and tunnelling.
- driller – underground mining
- roadheader operator
- drift miner
- blaster – underground mining
- hardrock miner apprentice
- powderman/woman – underground mining
- mining machine operator
- diamond driller – underground mining
- raise miner
- scooptram operator
- chute blaster – underground mining
- hoist operator – underground mining
- shaft inspector
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Formal training of up to six weeks followed by extended periods of specialized training as a helper or in support occupations is usually provided.
- Previous experience as a mine labourer or in other mine occupations is usually required.
- Provincial blasting licence may be required.
- May be certified in the basic common core program or as an underground hard rock miner in Ontario.
- Trade certification for miners is available, but voluntary, in Quebec and Manitoba.
- Company licensing or certification is often required for occupations in this unit group.
- Certificate in first aid may be required.
- Mobility is possible to other occupational groups in underground mining such as underground service and support occupations.
- There is mobility between employers within each of the three following sectors: underground coal mining, underground hard rock mining and underground potash, salt or soft rock mining.
- Mobility between these sectors is somewhat limited by differences in production technologies.
- Progression to mining supervisor is possible with experience.
- Drillers and blasters - surface mining, quarrying and construction
- Mine labourers
- Supervisors, mining and quarrying
- Underground mine service and support workers