8221 Supervisors, mining and quarrying
End of Quick search
Lead statementSupervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate activities of workers engaged in underground and surface mining operations and quarries. They are employed by coal, metal and non-metallic mineral mines and quarries.
- mine foreman/woman
- mine captain
- fill foreman/woman – underground mining
- underground mine foreman/woman
- mine supervisor
- quarry supervisor
- surface mine supervisor
- track boss – underground mining
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a college or university program in mining technology or engineering may be required for some positions in this group.
- Several years of experience in the occupations supervised are usually required.
- Provincial certification as an underground mine supervisor, shift boss, or coal mining supervisor may be required.
- There is mobility between employers, especially for supervisors with post-secondary diplomas or degrees.
- Mobility between surface mining, underground mining, coal or metal mining sectors may be limited by differences in production technologies and licensing requirements.
- Drillers and blasters - surface mining, quarrying and construction
- Heavy equipment operators (except crane)
- Mine labourers
- Mine managers
08110811 Managers in natural resources production and fishing)
- Underground mine service and support workers
- Underground production and development miners