8211 Supervisors, logging and forestry
End of Quick search
Lead statementSupervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers engaged in logging operations and silvicultural operations. They are employed by logging companies, contractors and government agencies.
- forest operations supervisor
- forestry crew supervisor
- hook tender – logging
- logging contractor
- logging foreman/woman
- production supervisor – logging
- silviculture supervisor
- woods foreman/woman
- Supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise and co-ordinate the activities of logging and forestry workers in woodland operations, often in several work locations over several square kilometres
- Oversee silvicultural activities such as scarification, planting and vegetation control
- Schedule work crews, equipment and transportation for several work locations
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve work methods
- Instruct workers in safety, recognize unsafe work conditions and modify work procedures
- Ensure that government regulations are met
- Communicate with forestry technical, professional and management personnel regarding forest harvesting and forest management plans, procedures and schedules
- Prepare production and other reports
- Hire and train new workers.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a one- to three-year college program for forestry technologists or technicians may be required.
- Formal company training and several months of on-the-job training are provided.
- Several years of experience as a logger, silvicultural worker, or logging machinery operator are usually required.
- A chemical application licence may be required.
- An industrial first aid certificate may be required.
- Chain saw and skidder operators
- Forestry technologists and technicians
- Logging and forestry managers
08110811 Managers in natural resources production and fishing)
- Logging machinery operators
- Silviculture and forestry workers