7522 Public works maintenance equipment operators and related workers
End of Quick search
Lead statementThis unit group includes workers who operate vehicles and equipment to maintain streets, highways and sewer systems and operate trucks to collect garbage and recyclable materials. This group also includes workers who clear vegetation close to power lines, workers who inspect the condition of utility poles and workers who locate underground utility lines and pipes. They are employed by municipal, provincial and federal public works departments, private contractors under contract with government public works departments and private companies involved in the collection of refuse and recyclable materials.
- garbage truck driver
- municipal maintenance equipment operator
- power pole inspector
- public works maintenance equipment operator
- salt truck operator
- sand spreader operator
- sewer-flushing truck operator – public works
- snow removal equipment operator – public works
- street flusher operator
- street sweeper operator
- utility arborist
- utility locator
- Some secondary school may be required.
- Experience as a public works labourer is usually required.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- A driver's licence appropriate to a specific type of equipment may be required.
- Trade certification for utility arborists is available, but voluntary, in Ontario and British Columbia.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Heavy equipment operators (except crane)
- Landscaping and grounds maintenance labourers
- Public works and maintenance labourers
- Supervisors of public works maintenance equipment operators
73027302 Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crews)
- Transport truck drivers