7511 Transport truck drivers
End of Quick search
Lead statementTransport truck drivers operate heavy trucks to transport goods and materials over urban, interurban, provincial and international routes. They are employed by transportation, manufacturing, distribution and moving companies, and trucking employment service agencies, or they may be self-employed. This unit group also includes drivers of special purpose trucks and shunters who move trailers to and from loading docks within trucking yards or lots.
- dump truck driver
- long haul truck driver
- transport driver
- tractor-trailer truck driver
- bulk goods truck driver
- shunt truck driver
- flatbed truck driver
- logging truck driver
- heavy truck driver
- moving van driver
- truck driver
- tow truck driver
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- On-the-job-training is provided.
- Completion of an accredited driver training course of up to three months duration, through a vocational school or community college, may be required.
- A Class 3 or D licence is required to drive straight-body trucks.
- A Class 1 or A licence is required to drive long combination vehicles.
- Air brake endorsement (Z) is required for drivers who operate vehicles equipped with air brakes.
- Transportation of dangerous goods (TDG) certification is required for drivers who transport hazardous products or dangerous goods.
- Additional licensing endorsement or certification may be required to drive articulated trucks.
- Progression to supervisory positions or to non-driving occupations, such as driver trainer, safety officer or truck dispatcher is possible with additional training or experience.
- Drivers of light trucks
75147514 Delivery and courier service drivers)
- Snowplough and garbage truck drivers
75227522 Public works maintenance equipment operators and related workers)
- Supervisors, motor transport and other ground transit operators
- Truck dispatchers
- Truck driver helpers
76227622 Railway and motor transport labourers)
- Truck driver trainers
40214021 College and other vocational instructors)