7311 Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics
End of Quick search
Lead statementConstruction millwrights and industrial mechanics install, maintain, troubleshoot, overhaul and repair stationary industrial machinery and mechanical equipment. This unit group includes industrial textile machinery mechanics and repairers. Construction millwrights are employed by millwrighting contractors. Industrial mechanics are employed in manufacturing plants, utilities and other industrial establishments.
- industrial mechanic
- loom setter – textile manufacturing
- card grinder
- textile fixer
- knitting machine mechanic
- loom fixer
- loom technician
- open-end technician
- spinning fixer
- card fixer
- treatment plant maintenance mechanic
- millwright apprentice
- plant equipment mechanic
- industrial mechanic apprentice
- construction millwright
- industrial sewing machine mechanic
- textile machine mechanic
- maintenance millwright
- Completion of secondary school and training courses or a vocational program is usually required.
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program
or A combination of over five years of work experience and industry courses in industrial machinery repair or millwrighting is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Textile machinery mechanics hired from other industries may require additional training in textile processes and experience as a textile manufacturing machinery operator.
- Industrial mechanic (millwright) trade certification is available, but voluntary, in all provinces and territories.
- Construction millwright trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Quebec and Ontario.
- Industrial sewing machine mechanic trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Quebec.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified industrial mechanics or millwrights upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- Construction millwrights are mostly engaged in the initial installation of industrial plant machinery and equipment; industrial mechanics are more concerned with the post-installation maintenance and repair of machinery and equipment.
- Industrial mechanics and millwrights may be cross-trained in a second trade such as pipefitting, welding, machining or electrical maintenance.
- The Red Seal endorsement allows for interprovincial mobility.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Heavy-duty equipment mechanics
- Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
- Supervisors of industrial mechanics and millwrights
73017301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades)