7284 Plasterers, drywall installers and finishers and lathers
End of Quick search
Lead statementPlasterers apply finish, and maintain and restore plaster or similar materials, on interior and exterior walls, ceilings and building partitions to produce plain or decorative surfaces. Drywall installers and finishers install and finish drywall sheets and various types of ceiling systems. Lathers install support framework for ceiling systems, interior and exterior walls and building partitions. They are employed by construction companies and by plastering, drywalling and lathing contractors, or they may be self-employed.
- wood lather
- drywall installer and finisher apprentice
- drywall finisher
- drywall taper
- lather apprentice
- lather (interior systems mechanic)
- ceiling installer
- plasterer apprentice
- drywall applicator
- acoustical ceiling installer
- sheetrock applicator
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three- or four-year apprenticeship program in plastering, drywalling or lathing
or A combination of over three years of work experience and some high school, college or industry courses in plastering, drywalling or lathing is usually required.
- Plasterer trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in Ontario, Saskatchewan and British Columbia.
- Drywall installer and finisher trade certification is available, but voluntary, in British Columbia.
- Trade certification for lathers (interior systems mechanics) is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces and the Yukon.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified lathers (interior systems mechanic) upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- The Red Seal endorsement allows for interprovincial mobility.
- Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
- Supervisors of trade workers in this unit group
72057205 Contractors and supervisors, other construction trades, installers, repairers and servicers)